Monday, January 18, 2010

Make It Monday




Welcome to another 'Make It Monday'!!


Today I'm going to show you something that saves me lots of money.....laundry detergent!


The cost has sky rocketed over the last several years and I refuse to pay the ridiculous prices these companies charge. Now, every once in a while (about once or twice a year) I find it on clearance or at a really good sale price with coupon, so I will a buy a bottle or two as a back up. It has come in handy when my husband wanted to surprise me one day by doing the laundry and he had regular detergent to use. But, normally I use my home made version.


There are 2 different kinds to make...the dry and the liquid. I like the liquid, but it's a little messy to make, and takes longer to make. Today I will show you the dry detergent.


What you will need is:


2 cups Borax
2 cups Arm & Hammer Washing Soda
1 bar (grated with a cheese grater) of soap (Fels-Naptha, Ivory, Dove)**






Ok, so in a container you want to store it in, combine the 3 ingredients, close the lid and shake it up for a minute or two to mix it all up. Now....your done! See how easy that is!! It takes me less than 10 minutes from the time I start to the time I finish cleaning up!



On the left is my laundry detergent. I make it once every other month. I usually make 2 batches at once since it's so easy. If I had a bigger container I would make six months worth at a time! It doesn't take that long to make.

I use 1/4 cup (I use a small measuring cup) of detergent for each wash. Depending on your washing machine, you may have to use more or less detergent. For my dogs blankets and toys, I use 1/2 cup to get that nasty dog smell out. With 4 dogs....they get kind of smelly!



**The Soap - I have heard that the Fels-Naptha is really good for laundry detergent, but I can't find it in my area. I have used Ivory which works, but doesn't always dissolve well. I have also used Dove, which is my favorite, and gives the clothes a clean fresh smell. **



So, I hope you find this useful. I have saved so much money making my own detergent, and wouldn't go back to using regular detergent unless they brought the prices back down to where they were several years ago.

Happy Saving!!

No comments: