Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Make It Monday





One thing that has saved us so much money is being able to sew. I have not purchased my son pajama pants in 3 years! I use a sewing machine my mom handed down to me, and I have made the most of it! It doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but it does the job well. I have made several skirts, and a dress for myself, but where I have really saved the money is making my son pajama pants! The average cost of pajama pants is $9. And unfortunately, your stuck with whatever the store thought was trendy that year. I can tell you...the last 2 years skulls have been trendy, and I don't want my son wearing them! So, what's the alternative? Make your own!



You may be saying to yourself "I can't figure out sewing patterns and all their pieces". I'm here to tell you that I found THE perfect pattern.....and it's one piece!! That's right! And you can get it at most fabric stores.



The pattern is Butterick 5565. It sells for $8.95 (I used a 40% off JoAnns coupon!)






The one piece pant pattern is the easiest pattern I have ever seen! You cut 2 pieces of fabric with the pattern and you sew them together...then you add the elastic waste band and hem the legs. I have made a pair of pajama pants in 2 hours with this pattern. It's just that easy! Oh, and the pattern can be used to make shorts as well! I have made plenty of those for summer! If you have a sewing machine it's well worth it to buy some patterns and start making things! The $5.50 I paid for that pattern 3 years ago has paid for itself over and over and over again!

Oh, and what about fabric you say? I ALWAYS check out the clearance fabric! I often find great prints for $2 - $3 a yard. And, with the fabric store giving out 40% off coupons, it makes it well worth sewing my own things!





Cars pajama pants.....$3.50 to make



Castle Dragon pajama pants......$4.50 to make


4th of July shorts......$2.00 to make


So give it a try! You just may like it...and save some money while your doing it!!


Happy Saving!!

No comments: