Thursday, January 14, 2010

From The Archives: Soup Night

January 4, 2008:

A great way to lower your food bill is to have a soup night!

We live along the Florida coast and were in for a 20 degree freeze. So last night after all the freeze preparations we were making, I just didn't want to stand in the kitchen for half an hour and cook. I contemplated ording a pizza, but didn't want to spend the money. So, I decided to open a few cans of soup.

We like Campbell's Select Healthy Request (this has less sodium than most of the canned soups out there). Now, these can be quite pricey when buying a lot of cans. I make it a rule to check the adds to see when they go on sale. I then save up my coupons and use them with the sale prices. So, they normally cost $1.50 - $1.75 depending on the store. They usually go on sale for $1.25. Then I use a .25 to .50 cent coupon and get them for $ .75 to $1.00 per can.

Last nights dinner for the 3 of us cost $2.25!! A lot cheaper and healthier than ordering a pizza or getting fast food!!

So, try having a soup night, and take a day off in the kitchen!


***I know that there are some who will say they can get the condensed soups for so much less. And I agree. If I purchased those, I would use the same method of using coupons with the sales. But with my husbands heart issues he is on a stricked low sodium diet. I have not found a condensed soup that meets his low sodium requirement.***

No comments: